Natural Cold Remedies

Since Emma started daycare back in September and I went back to work, we've been dealing with nonstop colds, coughs and runny noses!  It's nothing serious but it's certainly not fun!  The last bout started a week ago.  Emma infected me and now Eric has it too.  I've had this cold and cough for almost a week now and believe me, I hope we can nip it in the bud soon.  While I won't use traditional cold remedies for myself and Emma, Eric still prefers to use the Advil cold and sinus and Nyquil.  Believe me, quick remedies sound great in theory, but all they do is stifle the symptoms--and in the long run, it can actually interfere in your body's natural capabilities to heal.   And your body is having the symptoms for a reason.  I believe we need to aid the immune system to keep it strong and your body will heal on its own.  However, there are lots of things you can do to fight a cold naturally!  While I am not an expert, I thought I'd list some of the things we do around here...

First of all, Young Living essential oils are a staple in our home!  We use them for everything--from healing a minor cut to headaches and infections!  For a cold, the ones we use the most are Thieves, R.C., peppermint and Eucalyptus radiata.  Thieves is a blend that's great for immunity.  I like to put a drop in my cold care tea when I'm not feeling great.  I rub it (diluted) onto Emma's feet when she's sick and we diffuse it through the air too.  Rub a little R.C. on your chest, under your nose, on your neck and you'll be able to breath better!  Peppermint is great for headaches--rubbed on your temples, also good for fevers and congestion.  Eucalyptus can be used in the same way as R.C.--and any of those oils can be diffused--great for airborne bacteria.  Young Living oils can't be purchased in any health shops.  You must order them through a distributor (which I happen to be).  If you use another kind of essential oil, you really need to do your research to make sure it's safe for ingestion and topical use.  Go with a therapeutic grade oil, not an aromatherapy grade oil.   Just let me know if you'd like to learn more!

Eric and I drink lots of tea when we're under the weather.  I love the varieties by Traditional Medicinals--cold care, the sore throat one and herba tussin (cough tea) are staples in the winter months.  Add a drop of Thieves to any of those!  This morning I'm drinking some fresh thyme tea.  Thyme is great for it's antimicrobial properties.  Remember the honey and lemon your remember as a kid?  Still great--add some grated ginger or chopped garlic for the microbial effect. 

Apple cider vinegar is also antibacterial so boil about 1/4 cup with 1/4 cup of water and inhale the steam--great for your sinuses.  You can also gargle with a shot glass full of apple cider vinegar and some cayenne (anti-inflammatory and will numb the pain of a sore throat).  Or just some warm water, sea salt and cayenne. 

There are lots of great resources out there and I'm constantly adding new remedies to our toolbox!  I love this book--Naturally Healthy Babies and Children:  A Commensense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition and Health.

4 Response to "Natural Cold Remedies"

  1. Michelle Says:

    Wow, I JUST got my intro package from Young Living and am experimenting with the oils. I'm very excited to add to my repertoire of healthy alternatives for cold season, but also ways to clean the house, etc. using them. So glad you stopped by my blog!

  2. Anonymous Says:

    I NEED THOSE OILS!! Can I actually buy them from you? Shoot me an email or gimme a call when you can...Julie was sick three weeks ago with an upper respiratory thing and the week after that she had a stomach virus. She was all clear last week and now her nose is running again...and she hasn't even started daycare!

  3. Marisa L. S. Says:

    Michelle, good luck with them. Thieves is great for cleaning--I have the thieves cleaner. So many things you can do with the oils; I have been using them for a year so let me know if you ever have any questions!

    Jennie, I sent you an email!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    So glad to see so many people putting Young Living Oils to use! Stop by my blog to check out even more ways to use them!

Post a Comment